From the Quartermaster:
● August Park Concerts coming
In a collaborative partnership with the Villages Parks and Recreation Dept, the Post is co-hosting the August Thursday evening Concerts at Cortesi Park this year. The Parks Dept. has scheduled and contracted with bands for the four Thursday concerts 6:30-8:30 PM, and the Post will be offering beer, wine, soft drinks and food.
- Bring a blanket, lawn chair and appetite to the Villa Park Summer Concerts. Great family entertainment and good eats will make for a fun night!
- Cortesi Veterans Memorial Park (318 E. Kenilworth)
- The four Thursday Concerts Begin At 6:30 PM
- The concession stand opens at 6 pm
● Highlights of the bands:
August 5 – Petty Cash
Petty Cash is a high-octane stage show appropriate for old rockers, baby rockers and everything in between. As Chicagoland’s ultimate Tom Petty / Johnny Cash cover band, this group is sure to get you up and dancing in the aisles with classic tunes you’ve enjoyed for years. Who doesn’t like the music of Tom Petty or Johnny Cash? Petty Cash is the product of five musicians with combined years of musical experience of roughly …1,000!
August 12 – Classical Blast
Classical Blast’s Bach to Rock show takes you on a thrill ride through time. Famed music by Bach, Beethoven or Mozart is rocked out and me3lded with classical rock songs, with powerful vocals and famous guitar solos performed on violin or cello. Make no mistake, this band ROCKS! The past, present and future together in perfect harmony.
August 19 – Rosie & The Rivets
Rosie & The Rivets perform the best danceable music of the 1950s and early 1960s along with some current hits with a retro twist. You’ll hear early rock, rockabilly, girl group, surf and soul. Sticklers for detail, their stage production, period correct clothes and vintage guitars, drums and even microphones assure you’ll be in for a truly Retro-Cool experience.
August 26 – Howard and The White Boys
Chicago, a city steeped in blues history, is where Howard and The White Boys have honed their chops since their inception in 1988. They have established a reputation as one of the city’s favorite attractions and make regular appearances at Buddy Guy’s Legends. Howard and The White Boys have been on several major tours with Buddy Guy and have even performed with some of the biggest names in blues.
Would you like to help?? We Need seven (7) volunteers a night to sell tickets, cook or serve beverages, starting at 5 PM August 5th, 12th, 19th, and 26th. SO Please help out if you can for one or more fun filled musical evenings. For more information or to volunteer call or email the office 630-834-8191, or email@example.com
Volunteers are always needed here at the VFW. For without volunteers our VFW could not do the many things it does.
Currently we are in need of carpenters for a few small projects and kitchen help to assist with cooking and serving when the kitchen is open. For more info call 630-834-8191 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
A new year begins!!
● Congratulations to our New and returning officers for 2021-2022 years!
The Auxiliary has also had a few members accept positions in the 19th District:
- Jan Bakes – Sr. Vice / Americanism Chairperson
- Debbie Wesoloski – Guard
- Ron Bakes – 2 year Trustee / Patriotic Instructor
- Mary Ciszek – Hospital Chairperson
- Good luck to everyone. We will have a great year together!
- Virginia Proffitt, Sr. Vice and Mary Ciszek, Treasurer/Secretary represented our Auxiliary at the VFW Department of Ill State Convention in Springfield, IL. They accepted two 1st place awards for our Auxiliary.
- Americanism Coloring Contest – 1st place in age 6 Kindergarten Group
- Kylie Jensen from Immanuel Lutheran School received a trophy with this year theme “Making Life Bearable for our Veterans” 2020-2021. Thank you to Debbie Wesoloski, Mary Ciszek and Jan Bakes for getting the information to the schools for all our Scholarship Programs.
- Legislative Program – Certificate and Plaque
- “Auxiliary Member with Most Contacts with their Legislators, by Letter, by Fax, by Phone, by Email or through Social Media” Plaque with this year theme “Making Life Bearable for Our Veterans” 2020-2021.
Thank you to all the members who made this possible.
Jan Bakes – Legislative Chairperson
Ron Bakes, Auxiliary President 2021-2022
● Upcoming meetings
- July 12 PM, Monday, Auxiliary monthly meeting
- July 19 7 PM, Monday, Post monthly meeting
● Veterans Service Records request
- Need your service records or that of a loved one? Click on the link just below here: https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records
- Military service and medical records are not online. However, most veterans and their next of kin can obtain free copies of their DD Form 214 (Report of Separation) and other military service records.